Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Gujarat 2023: Under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the Government of India introduced the Ujala scheme in January 2015. Managed by Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), a partnership between public sector units under the Ministry of Energy, the initiative aims to replace high power consumption light bulbs with low power consumption LED bulbs for over 200 million individuals. By doing so, the plan aims to save at least 10.5 billion kWh of electricity, making it the world’s largest LED distribution program.
Objective of Ujala scheme
The Ujala scheme launched by the Government of India aims to rapidly provide LED bulbs to every home in the country. The goal is to reduce power consumption and save energy. At the inception of the program, a plan and strategy was developed to achieve this objective. In the first phase of the scheme, the Government of Maharashtra partnered with the Central Government, successfully distributing 3 crore bulbs within 6 months.
Ujala Yojna key features
- The Ujala scheme launched by the central government focuses on distributing LED bulbs to every household in India. The bulbs will be manufactured in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh. This is the first scheme of its kind launched by the central government.
- Under the Ujala scheme, consumers will be able to purchase LED bulbs at 60% less than the market price. For example, an LED bulb which is usually sold in the market for Rs. 160, it is sold under this scheme at Rs. 85 will be available for purchase.
- Both the state and central governments will work together to ensure the success of the scheme. Information about the scheme and bulbs will be available at kiosks and discom offices so that people can know more about the scheme.
- Government of Chhattisgarh has distributed 75 lakh LED bulbs in just 75 days through this scheme, which is an achievement for this scheme.
Ujala scheme registration form
To participate in Ujala Yojana, individuals can get the registration form on the official government website www.ujala.gov.in. The form can be downloaded, all the required information can be filled and then submitted to the designated officer. Additional information regarding the scheme can be obtained from the Discom office.
Documents required for Ujala scheme)
- Certain documents are required to participate in Ujala Yojana. This includes a valid photo identity card such as Aadhaar card, voter card or passport as well as proof of address, which can be provided through a copy of electricity or telephone bill.
- It is important to note that a valid Aadhaar Card, Voter Card or Passport is mandatory to avail the benefits of the scheme.
- For more detailed information about the document requirements you can refer to the official website.
Ujala scheme benefits
- Ujala Yojana aims to educate people about the benefits of using LED bulbs and increase their use across the country.
- A major benefit of the program is reduction in net power rates and control of carbon emissions.
- The scheme aims to make LED bulbs more affordable, making them accessible to a wider population and promoting their use not only in urban areas but across the country.
- Another important benefit of the scheme is the reduction in power consumption and the ability to track consumption details.
Future Plans of Ujala Scheme
Discussions have been held with thirteen states to expand the Ujala Yojana. When the program was first launched in 2014-15, only the central government was involved, resulting in the distribution of only 30 lakh bulbs. With the participation of state governments, the scheme has achieved considerable success.
A recent study found that 77 crore such bulbs are in use in the country, which consumes a significant amount of electricity that needs attention. Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) has set a target of completing the project by 2019.
As of 31st August 2018, the Ujala scheme has distributed approximately 30 crore LED bulbs, resulting in savings of 15,846 crores. To support the energy efficiency programme, the central government has secured a $220 million loan from the World Bank.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana Gujarat 2023: List PDF, Apply, Eligibility
Official website: click here